Halloween can be a frighteningly frenzied time of year. Between shopping for and making treats, costumes and decorations, parents may be seeking a simple solution for seasonal fun without adding to the already hectic time and expenses! Omaha Public Library (OPL) can help with fun, free, pre-planned programs and activities for all ages to enjoy. Registration may be required for some events and parental permission is required for all lock-in activities. Visit omahalibrary.org or call the hosting location for more information.
For kids & families:
· Wednesday, Oct. 11, 11 a.m.: Glowing Eyes Craft at Saddlebrook Branch, 14850 Laurel Ave., 402-884-7473
· Wednesday, Oct. 18, 11 a.m.: Puffy Ghost Craft at Saddlebrook Branch
· Saturday, Oct. 21
· 10:15 a.m.: Halloween Fun Fest at W. Dale Clark Main Library, 215 S. 15th St., 402-444-4800. Enjoy a slightly scary storytime, make-and-take crafts, and delicious treats. Trick-or-treat in the library! Costumes are encouraged.
· 3 p.m.: Spooky Science and Crafts at South Omaha Library, 2808 Q St., 402-444-4850. Participate in hands-on experiments with a Halloween twist, exploring static electricity, chemical reactions and density. Things may get messy, so dress accordingly.
· Tuesday, Oct. 24, 6 p.m.: Spooktacular at Florence Branch, 2920 Bondesson St., 402-444-5299. Join us for slightly scary stories, crafts, games, snacks and treats. Costumes are encouraged. Program presented in cooperation with the Florence Community Center and Senior Center.
· Wednesday, Oct. 25, 10:30 a.m.: Halloween Party at A.V. Sorensen Branch, 4808 Cass St., 402-444-5274. Celebrate Halloween with storytime, crafts and other activities. Costumes are encouraged! Program presented in cooperation with the A.V. Sorensen Community Center.
· 11 a.m.: Bat Silhouette Craft at Saddlebrook Branch
· Saturday, Oct. 28, 10:30 a.m.: Spooktacular at Saddlebrook Branch. Join us for a storytime, a scary stroll, photo opportunities, pumpkin coloring (first 100 kids), snacks, trick-or-treat, and games in the gym. Program presented in cooperation with the Saddlebrook Community Center.
· Tuesday, Oct. 31, 10 a.m.: Out & About Storytime at Marquis Place, 20800 West Maple Rd., 402-289-4367. Join us for stories, creative movement, music and more. Children will have the opportunity to trick-or-treat. Costumes are encouraged.
· Friday, Oct. 20, 3:30 p.m.: Food & Fun at W. Dale Clark Main Library. Join us for a Halloween-themed food and fun activity.
· Tuesday, Oct. 24, 4:30 p.m.: Making Mini Candy Apples at A.V. Sorensen Branch. Registration required in person or by phone at 402-444-5274.
· Wednesday, Oct. 25, 5 p.m.: Zombie Escape at South Omaha Library. A mad scientist has created a virus to turn the population into zombies. Search the room for clues, solve puzzles, and find the cure before it’s too late! Registration required.
· Thursday, Oct. 26, 4 p.m.: Halloween Makeup Hacks at Charles B. Washington Branch, 2868 Ames Ave., 402-444-4849.
· Friday, Oct. 27, 6 p.m.: Zombie Lock-In at Benson Branch, 6015 Binney St., 402-444-4846. Join us for after-hours zombie-themed fun. Eat pizza, play games, and survive our night of the living dead. Ages 13-18. Registration and parent permission slip are required.
· Saturday, Oct. 28
· 2 p.m.: Caramel Apple Party at South Omaha Library.
· 2 p.m.: Create Haunted Gingerbread Houses at A.V. Sorensen Branch. Registration required n person or by phone at 402-444-5274.
· 7 p.m.: Halloween Lock-In at Millard Branch, 13214 Westwood Ln., 402-444-4848. Join us for Halloween-themed activities and games for students 11-18 years old. Registration and parent permission slip are required.
· Saturday, Oct. 14, 1 p.m.: Book Page Pumpkin Craft at Saddlebrook Branch. Registration required.
OPL is your source for creepy books, movies and music; and don’t forget about books for unique DIY decorations and show-stopping costumes! Visit omahalibrary.org for more information on these and additional events and resrouces at Omaha Public Library’s 12 locations.